In observance of termite awareness week Certified Termite & Pest Control offers the following termite prevention tips:
- Divert water away from your home’s foundation by installing properly functioning downspouts, gutters and splash blocks.
- Reduce humidity in crawl spaces with proper ventilation.
- Trim vines, hedges and other vegetation to prevent them from blocking vents.
- Remove old form boards, grade stakes, tree trunks and roots near a building, as they may attract termites.
- Maintain an 18-inch gap between soil and any wood portions of your home.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and 5 inches off the ground. Check it for pests before bringing it indoors.
- Routinely inspect the foundation of your home for signs of termite damage.