I have never heard anybody express their love of wasps to me, but I have met plenty of people who have been stung by wasps, and they have all agreed that it was more painful than they had imagined. As much as I sympathize with anyone who has been stung by an insect, a mere sting does not compare to what happened to one man after he sustained a sting from a wasp. Sometimes a sting can be fatal as a result of an allergic reaction the human body has to insect venom, but one case caused a mans stroke, which ultimately led to his death.
A forty four year old man was working on a construction site when he was stung on his leg by a wasp. At first, the man developed hives and a rash, but one hour after he sustained the insect sting, he started showing signs of a stroke. The man was no longer able to communicate, and he seemed to be paralyzed on one half of his body, which are signs that one has suffered a stroke. A stroke occurs when a part of the brain is starved of blood. This normally occurs as a result of a blood clot or leaky blood vessels.
The Dr. who treated the forty four year old victim, Dr. Michael DeGeorgia, claimed that he had never before seen a case of insect induced stroke. However, the doctor does claim that there does exist several case reports detailing individual cases of strokes that were caused by insect stings. Most of the cases involved bee stings. Most of the strokes that resulted from all of the bee stings were caused by multiple stings, and not just one single wasp sting, like the most recent case. So luckily, this sort of thing is not terribly common.
Have you ever heard of an insect sting causing adverse physiological reactions that did not result from an allergy?